I really need to start blogging more. I always think of things I want to say, but I usually fall asleep before I get back to the computer. Right now the boys are distracted by Scooby-Doo and a bowl of grapes so we’ll see if I can share a short synopsis of our activities for the past couple of weeks.
K went to his final karate class of the session and much to my surprise he not only received one stripe on his belt but he qualified for two stripes! I had been so worried because we hadn’t really practiced all session and the testing session itself looked a little shaky to me, but apparently he met the requirements. It was a very pleasant surprise for him to have earned that rank. We are taking the summer off and then he plans to start again in September.
School is finally out up here and K is now a 2nd grader. I can’t believe how the time has gone by. I’m so proud of him and how hard he works in school.
D wants to know when he can start karate (November) and Cub Scouts (1st grade). As for now we are very lucky to be in a Cub Scout group that promotes family and siblings are allowed to attend a lot of the functions. D will even be attending the Cub Scout Twilight Camp in July. They have a sibling program for just $3 per day so the siblings are entertained while the scouts are off doing their activities. I’m helping out with the sibling program that week and we expect to have between 60 and 65 siblings every evening. Since camp runs from 5:30p to 9:00p after a full day of work, I have a feeling that all three of us will be tired, yet happy, that week. There are some great activities lined up for the scouts and I expect K to have a great time being off on his own with just his den and no Mommy. :)
Speaking of Cub Scouts K had his badge ceremony and crossing over ceremony last Tuesday. K and his Den earned their Tiger badge and then crossed over to Wolf. They were presented with new neckerchiefs and their Wolf books. Needless to say the boys were very excited. D and J attended but I’m not sure how much of the ceremony they saw since this was actually held outdoors at a place where there was a fire pit (which D had a love/hate relationship with) and an actual bridge over a creek that the boys crossed when they were changing rank. As you can imagine given the choice of exploring the woods or sitting and watching brother, D preferred to explore all the woods have to offer.
The woods actually let D indulge in two of his favorite things. Rocks and bugs. I don’t even know how many “Rockies” I have in my house now. It seems everywhere we go he picks up a new best friend in the shape of a rock and he just can’t think of parting with it. He also loves bugs. I bought him a little bug kit at the dollar store that had tweezers, a net and a plastic ‘home’ with magnifying lens for the bugs. Everyday he is outside he changes out the bugs. His favorite things to catch seem to be spiders followed closely by these beetle things we have in the yard. He also enjoys worms, potato bugs, etc. While he was ‘helping’ me to plant flowers outside he took one of the empty pots, filled it with dirt and then brought every bug and worm he could find over to live in their new home. He is such a boy.
The boys also visited with their cousins when we went over for a birthday party. The boys love to see their cousins and had a great time playing, eating cupcakes and generally being kids and having fun.
I almost forgot, something that they boys found exciting did happen the other day. When we were plant shopping I splurged and bought a strawberry plant. I figured as much as the boys love strawberries they would have fun watching them grow and then getting to pick and eat the fruit. I was so right. We ‘harvested’ our first batch of strawberries the other day and the boys were thrilled! They thought it was so much fun to pick, wash and eat something that we had grown ourselves.
That is all that is going on right now. I’ll try to post more often so that I can be witty and entertaining versus just relaying information.
No comments:
Post a Comment