Monday, September 21, 2009

This is why I make practice cakes

This year we have finally moved away from the Star Wars themed cake (Yea!, I mean…moving on) and instead I will be making a Pokeball.  This I think I can do (lets hope).  It is a cake in the shape of a sphere and has only three colors.  The top is red, the bottom is white and there is a black line around the middle.  K had asked for a Bakugan cake, which I had agreed to in some not-so-rare moment of insanity, but upon further consideration I not so subtly hinted that maybe a Pokeball cake would be nicer.  To give you an idea of the difference in complexity here is a visual representation.
Pokeball      BK_SA_Cyclone_Dragonoid
Pokeball                                            Bakugan
Oh my gosh, while looking for an image of a Pokeball to show you I discovered that there are actually several different levels of Pokeball which give you a greater chance of catching Pokemon.  They are all more complicated to create than the red/white/black version I’m doing.  We must keep this information from K.
So as I was saying; practice cake.
We went out this weekend and purchased the ball shaped cake pan and something just told me that I should make figuring out how that thing works a priority.  It is a good thing that I did.  Here is the result.
IMG_7706 
(Okay, this isn’t a very good picture.  You can’t tell that these are each half of the sphere.)
Also, apparently my oven is baking even more uneven than I thought. The one on the left, the one with all the stuff running down that you would think would be more than done, was still undercooked on the very top 1/4 inch in the center.  I discovered that when I cut the top of the cake off to make it flat.  I also had to bake them for almost twice the amount of time the pan stated.  Oh well, this is why I practice. 
I plan to put a generic, store bought frosting on it and then take it to Cub Scouts tomorrow.  I really don’t want a whole cake hanging out at the house for just me and boys to eat.  I figured the boys wouldn’t mind if it was store bought frosting and generic decorations.
Now off to do the actual assembly.  Wish me luck.

No comments: