Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Holiday Fun

I would officially like to panic.  I don’t think I have been this behind on the things I wanted to get done for the Holidays in a long time. 

That being said, while it may not all be complete I do have it planned out so while I am panicking I’m not completely insane yet. 

My new wreath is almost done.  The old one ‘has issues’ (which is code for two years ago J just tossed it in the garage and it never got hung up thus it was destroyed) and I decided this year that I missed having a wreath on the door.  I found some pretty good sales at Michaels and I have more or less placed the items I just need to secure them then find a ribbon or focal piece.  It may go up with a temporary ribbon this year and then I will probably add a few more touches next year.  I know it is a little plain but it suits me.  (It also seems more vibrant in person than in this photo.  It think my flash may have washed it out a bit)

IMG_8480

I have all my shopping for K done.  The problem now is that I keep finding more stuff for him.  Must.not.buy.more.stuff.for.K.

I am still working on presents for D.  I did get excited this weekend when I found that a number of the items I had been thinking about getting for D were on sale this week.  I was only looking for one or two more things so I should be all done with him.  Then of course I’ll have to have the same reminder that I’m struggling with for K. :)

Somehow the weeks have gotten away from me and it suddenly hit me that this was K’s last week in school before break.  I didn’t have any goodies or anything for K’s teachers.  Being short on time I went with fast, easy classics in the treat department.  The boys and I made everything but the truffles on Sunday so that they would be fresh.  K helped with the first batch or two and then he was all about taste testing.  D was a huge help with everything but the truffles (they were asleep when I did those) and he also was quite happy to test taste every batch.  The cookies may not be fancy (nor is the packaging) but the boys have assured me they are good.

IMG_8485

Shown above (pre wrapping):  Chocolate Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies, Sugar Cookies, Shortbread, English Butter Balls and Irresistible Truffles. (I was going to make Double-Layer Fudge but my condensed sweetened milk had gone off so no fudge.  I was also going to make another batch of cookies, Snickerdoodles or Peppermint Pinwheels, but I couldn’t fit five batches of cookies and a trip to Bellevue into my Sunday.  Oh well, maybe for the next batch)

J’s Dad came up to visit last week and stayed the weekend over at the cousin’s house.  The boys had a great time visiting with him. 

The boys and I had planned to go to Garden d’Lights at the Bellevue Botanical Garden and David was gracious enough to go with us and to drive.  It had been about 4 years since I had gone, however it was as cool to look at as I remembered.  The boys had a lot of fun with the critter map looking for all the animals made out of lights. 

IMG_8452  IMG_8458   IMG_8468    IMG_8476

I have a number of slightly blurry pictures of our experience at the garden.  It is hard to use the night shutter while making sure that the kids didn’t get swallowed into the crowds.  It didn’t feel terribly crowded however it was easy for the kids to get just one person in front of me and I couldn’t see them.

Somehow David escaped without having any pictures taken.  I’m not sure how I managed to let that happen.  I guess that just means it will be double photos when he and Gayla come back up in March.

Tonight I have to finish up the tags for the Cub Scout awards tomorrow, then get K ready for exhibition/belt night at Karate on Wednesday.  On Friday we will be helping with the Tree of Giving at the mall and then K’s Scout Pack is scheduled to sing carols at one of the retirement homes in the area on Saturday. 

I don’t have any of the gifts for the Great Grandparents or Grandparents completed yet, however I’m hoping they are all used to me being late and will understand that their gifts will arrive in early January. 

As busy as things seem I have a great time doing all this and I love that the kids are so enthusiastic about everything.

I hope everyone is enjoying this wonderful holiday season.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Just got all caught up on your blog- I really gotta stop in here more often! MAN you are one busy lady right now! I'm sure your survival instincts have kicked in to pull you through the coming week, but I do hope you're able to enjoy some of what's going on and the sweet innocence of your little ones. This time of year is so special, so enjoy! :)