Sometimes I think it is feast or famine around here when it comes to activities. I swear there are days where we don’t do anything and then weeks when we don’t stop. This weekend fell into the busy, in a fun way, category
Thursday was K’s Valentine’s Day party at his school. Boy, this is one of those events that I really miss being able to help out at. I loved being able to volunteer at K’s school during the day when he was in Kindergarten. One of my goals is to get back to a position where I can do more during school day volunteering, instead of only non-school hours volunteering. Anyway, for some reason I was a day off all week and Wednesday evening it hit me that K’s Valentine’s were due the next day. K had already decided that he wanted to make Valentine’s for his whole class, but of course not believing me that it would take more than 5 minutes to make cards for everyone in the class, he hadn’t really started on them. Luckily he had done the drawing he wanted to use for his cards on Tuesday evening so I whipped up some simple Valentine’s for his class. They certainly weren’t professional looking, but I find them very cute and love the fact that all the drawing and handwriting is his own (even if it was a 2 minute drawing).
For those of you wondering that is, Indiana Jones telling you to have a whiptastic Valentine’s Day! He drew all this on a small piece of paper and ran out of room while writing the greeting. I asked him if he wanted to rewrite it but he said it was fine. Oh well. We punched two holes over the lollipop to thread in a Dum Dum lollipop and away he went. He was thrilled by them. Of course, I didn’t remember to take a picture of a complete one.
Friday was D’s party at school and he also wanted his own homemade Valentine’s. If truth be told he wanted to use his brother’s Valentine’s and put his name on them but I vetoed that. He choose to throw a fit instead of doing a drawing so his were a little different. D sat with me while they were designed and he choose the pattern on the heart and the duck.
He loved this little duck embellishment that I had so that is what we used. Again these aren’t fancy but I love that he helped design them and wrote his own name.
Both of the boys came home with so much candy it was insane.
On Saturday we had a Cub Scout event where we had to go to an important place in the community as part of K earning his Wolf Badge. We choose one of the aeronautical museums in the area. There wasn’t as much to do there as I had hoped and was feeling like we had spent entirely too much money for what we got when I first walked in, however before I knew it 2 hours had gone by and the boys all had fun.
They especially liked the 727 Cockpit and the engine display.
Sunday was Valentine’s Day and we had a relaxing day at home. I had found a few small items for the boys on clearance at Target so they were very excited when they got up that morning and found their presents on the dining room table.
Monday I took a vacation day since K didn’t have school and D’s school was closed for teacher training. I only had to dial in and work for 2 hours so not bad (I haven’t had a vacation in over a year and am so in need of a real vacation). One of the radio stations had a promotion for $1 per person admission to the science center so that was our big treat for the day. It was a mad house, as expected, but overall everything went well. The boys did a great job standing in line waiting to play with all the interactive exhibits and they had a lot of fun. They are already asking when we can go back. :) I think we only really saw about 75% of the exhibits (it could be less, we didn’t have a map and I feel like we missed a whole level) but I wanted to leave by 4p so that we could miss rush hour traffic getting home and by then we had been there over 4 hours so the boys, especially D, really needed a break. It was incredibly fun to see the new exhibits but to also see that some of the old exhibits from when I was a kid were still there. It was so cute to see the boys having fun doing some of the same things I did when I was a kid. I guess the really cool exhibits are timeless.
I would post pictures from the science center but I can’t get anything off my memory card again and J is busy so he can’t pull them off for me with his computer. Picture cute kids doing fun sciencey stuff.
Time to see what fun this week brings.
No comments:
Post a Comment