Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Bye, Bye Baby

Once again it has been ages and ages since I’ve posted anything.  I think I need Dragon NaturallySpeaking so that I can just talk and the blog will type itself.  Which considering how fast I type is really rather pathetic.

Anyway, rather than bore you with long past events I’ll just say things are essentially the same here.

Now for new stuff

D has not had his hair cut in I don’t know how long.  He has had the opportunities, just not the desire.  Since it is his hair I consider it his choice, until there are issues.  I love his long hair and the curls in the back, however we were running into a number of issues. 

  1. He didn’t want to have his hair brushed.  I’m sorry, but around me if you are going to have long hair it must be brushed regularly.  It is a rule.
  2. He was being confused with a girl a little too often when we were out 
  3. I knew that when summer finally arrived that the hair covering his neck would make him much too hot.  He runs around and plays too much outside and that long hair was going to be a liability.  (Trust the girl with hair down to her waist on this)

Because of these factors I’ve been persistently asking him if he was willing to get his hair cut.  He continued to tell me no.  I finally started telling him that as we got closer to summer that I was going to cut his hair because it was just going to be too hot.  He finally agreed to a haircut, but rather than having a professional cut it he wanted Grandma to do it.  As my Dad pointed out, Grandma has only ever used clippers on horses.  I knew then this was going to be interesting. 

A few before shots

IMG00021-20100622-0901 IMG00022-20100622-0901

(Side note:  He and I have the same hair.  Why does it look so much better on him? Totally not fair.)

Then after

  IMG00028-20100622-0948

Ignoring the fact that if you get close there are a couple of spots next to his ears that got a little more closely shaven that elsewhere, I guess it didn’t turn out too bad.  I’m hoping that after about a week it will soften out like haircuts normally do and I (not he, I) won’t be so self conscious about it. 

What a transformation though.  My baby looks a little more like a young man.  A young man that wouldn’t hold still for a photo, but a young man nonetheless.

Other happenings

School got out this week.  I am now the mother of a third grader.

We also had crossover for Cub Scouts this week and K has gone from being a Wolf to a Bear. 

Since I am officially unemployed I’m home with the boys for the summer. (This is day 3 and I’m already beginning to feel like I did when I was put on bed rest during my pregnancy with D. I lasted all of two hours before I was up wandering around.) We’ll see how this goes.  So far it has been one day with both kids home and it went relatively well, except for when the afternoon crankies set it.  I can see I’ll have to find something to counteract those.

D didn’t quite grasp the concept that he wasn’t going back to his school.  He was good for the first two days but now he keeps talking about when he goes back to school he can show off his new haircut, take share toys, etc.  He is slowing getting the concept as he has started asking if he isn’t going back to school for ever and ever.  Ugh.  I hope the three of us survive.

Being home has allowed for a few fun things.

D and I surprised K for lunch on his last day of school. 

IMG00031-20100622-1147

D loved going through the line and getting a big kid lunch like K.  Do you notice a lack of vegetables and fruit on those trays?  So unlike my boys.  D did get oranges but they were cut through the rind into random wedges and D wasn’t quite sure what to do with them.

Tomorrow we are going to splurge and go see Toy Story 3.  I haven’t seen a movie in the theatre since Cars came out and D has never been to a movie theatre so this should be fun but interesting.  K got spoiled last summer when his Grandmother took him to three movies so he has promised to guide us through the experience.

We also have on the calendar for the summer all the events put on by the library, the movies in the park and the free or $1 movies shown at the local theatres each week.  The boys are also signed up for some getting-used-to-swimming type swim lessons next week.  Each session is only 30 minutes and they go everyday next week.  If those go well I’ll be able to sign them up for regular swim lessons and can hopefully forgo paying for the semi-private lessons.  I’m also hoping that by being home I’ll actually get some of the random stuff done that never seems to happen, such as taking the clothes to the consignment store, the books to the used book store and the other random boxes of items to Goodwill.  I guess we’ll just see if I actually get anything accomplished.

I’ve also done a few fun things around the house, but I think I’ll save those for another entry.  I may get more than two entries every other month if i do that. :)

No comments: