As most of you know it has been snowing around here for the past week or so. The snow has been lovely but I could have done without an extra three days of Winter break for the kids. Oh well.
To try and kill time while stuck in the house (I don't drive in the snow unless I have too. People annoy me because they are imbeciles) we have done a number of things.
The first couple of days the boys put their new sled to good use sledding down the little hill in our front yard. It was perfect because it gave them a taste of sledding, they went fast enough to have fun, and yet once they got cold it was a half-second walk to the heat in the house. Perfect.
Yesterday I got ambitious and decided that since they had been doing so well with the sled we would walk over to the school and sled down the big hill. Turns out this wasn't one of my best plans. After three days of having kids sledding on the hill it was extremely slick. I was walking up behind K, D was a few feet off to my right side where the traction was a little better and I thought everything was going well. I stop about halfway up the hill to make sure that D is making it up okay while K goes to the top. The next thing I know K is in the sled coming towards me. I bend down to try and stop him (duh!) and end up going @ss over teakettle and he goes through my legs and knocks me down. My face slammed into the lovely, slick, compact snow. I'm not sure how else I landed but I know that my chest hurts so I must have landed on my camera somehow, my right arm is bruised, my back aches and I have a lovely dark bruise on the bottom of my chin (not to mention that hurts like heck). I really don't remember much of the fall after my face hit. I just know I ended up toward the bottom of the hill missing a glove with K crying.
After making sure that K was okay (he was mostly shaken up by it) I realize that D is calling for me. During all this he has managed to get himself almost to the top of the hill and is now stuck on all fours because it is so slick he can't go up any further. So up the hill I go, pluck him off and gingerly help him walk down. Needless to say we decided that we were done and it was time to walk home.
Here is a picture of the boys as they headed out to sled.

All it well it just turned out to be a bit more of an adventure than we planned.
We've also made cookies, colored and had snowball fights.
Despite the continued snow the roads were okay yesterday and today so we did get out of the house (yea!). Yesterday we went to the grocery store. Not exactly an exciting trip but a necessary one.
Today we drove down to visit my friend and her new kittens. Considering the mood the boys have been in all week (bored out of their minds and fractious) they did pretty good. I would have loved to have sat and talked with her, relaxed a little and hung out but I had already warned her it was going to be a short trip. We took the kitties (I mean my friend) Christmas gifts. The kitties are so adorable. (My friend is cute too but really, it was all about the kitties).

Next week we plan to decorate a few items, make some Salt Dough Cookie Ornaments for the tree and maybe mail out Christmas Cards. :) Of course, more snow play will be included. We might even try the big hill again
No comments:
Post a Comment