That is D's refrain every time we are in the car. Speed limits mean nothing to him which, frankly, has me a little worried for when he gets his license.
Today was K's Pinewood Derby race. It turned out to be a longer day than I had hoped but overall things went pretty well.
K won his Den's races and received a first place medal for his uniform. It also allowed him to moved onto the final's with the whole pack. He was ecstatic about winning, not exactly a gracious winner. I tried to prep him that he would be going against the fastest cars from the other divisions (all the older boys who have done this before) and that he may not win. I explained that wanting to win and being competitive was fine but that even if he didn't win it was important that he at least enjoy the experience. Yeah, I think I would have had more luck talking to air. He didn't win any of the final heats (he didn't come in last either) and he was a completely sore loser about it. Ugh. By that time we had been there almost 2 hours, both boys were cranky because of the waiting around (and lack of naps) so unfortunately Mom's temper wasn't at it's finest. I finally told K that if he didn't want to watch that was fine he just couldn't leave the general area of the race. He finally went to pout (yes, sad but true) in a little area about 10 feet behind me where I could still see him but where he wasn't bugging anyone else.
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad he is competitive and like I told him on the drive home, there isn't anything wrong with being competitive and trying to win, but when you lose it doesn't mean that you get to throw a fit and make everyone else feel bad about their success. I guess we'll keep working on that.
During the Den's race he was more than happy to talk into the microphone when the MC was asking the boys how they felt, unfortunately he was also more than happy to talk into the microphone during the finals when he wasn't doing as well. There is that shyness factor again. A mall full of people, people standing around watching and he's asked if anyone has anything to say and he's first with his hand up and a hand out for the mic.
In the end I think he had a good time and D and I enjoy watching the races. D's biggest problem was the same as always. He didn't understand why he couldn't be up there with his big brother doing what he was doing. Next year we'll know a little more about how things work and maybe we'll make an extra car for D to race in the exhibition race.
K's car is the green one in the middle.
Speaking of success (this would be the TMI part of the post by the way) D is almost completely potty trained. He doesn't have any accidents during the day and most of the time he goes to the restroom without prompting for both 'duties' that occur there. Only occasionally in the evening does he poop in his pants. He is so proud that he has been wearing underwear to school everyday for the past two weeks. He has Thomas and Cars underwear to choose from so he's a happy kid. I will be soooooo excited to not have any diaper type items to change, to not have piles of pull-ups in my bathroom and to only have the expense of buying pull-ups for night. Yea!!!! This success also means that he gets to move up to the Pre-School class at his school. I tried to say that he was moving up to the 3 year-old class but he quickly corrected me that it was Pre-School! <Geez, those Moms. Don't they know anything>
No comments:
Post a Comment