Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Karate Post

K had his second Karate lesson today.  Please know that this is said with all love and motherly affection, but my son is such a dork.  :)

To say that K is uncoordinated is like saying that I'm slightly pale.  A factual statement but something that doesn't even come close to giving you a complete picture of what occurs.  Let me see if I can bring the picture into focus.

Jumping jacks involved lots of jumping but very little jacking.  None of it in synch with anybody else.  Even with Sensei counting he was totally off.

That brings me to the other issue.  He has no rhythm.  None. Zilch. Nada. Not at all.  He can sing, but ask him to follow a beat and you may as well ask a monkey to read a map in the dark.

Class looked like a Laurel and Hardy sketch.  Everyone is in synch and then there comes K about a 1/2 beat behind and on the wrong arm/leg.  I've been trying to figure out a good analogy and all I can come up with is a drunk giraffe on a balance ball.  Only with more flailing. 

Add to this his running commentary on how 'easy' everything will be to do (it is amazing how easy stuff is when you're not doing it right) and his opinions on the next activity (easy, hard, "now that's what I'm talking about", I've done that, etc - but not in a disruptive manner) and I sometimes wonder if he is my child.  He has absolutely no problem being the center of attention and speaking in public.  He received the first award at Cub Scouts last night and he gave an impromptu speech (they basically had to take the microphone away fro him).  I would rather do just about anything else than to call attention to myself in a group of people.  He is just off in his own little world and confident enough in himself (which is a good thing) to not be concerned.

I have trouble watching him during the lesson because not only do I get a little embarrassed (I admit it) but because with his lack of coordination, balance and rhythm he moves around a lot.  He'll start a sufficient distance from the person next to/in front of him and suddenly I'll look up and flinch because I'm just sure he's going to punch or kick somebody by accident since he's only about 2 inches away from them all of a sudden.

So far though, he LOVES his classes and is having a great time.  I'm hoping that as we go forward he'll get more used to the sessions, calm down a bit and perhaps gain a little more gracefulness.   If not, he'll be fine and I'll just go on as I have.  Letting him be him.

No comments: