Things are moving along mighty fine here. This is a very (did I mention very) busy week for us. In addition to the normal schedule of leaving at 7:15a for Y Camp/PreSchool/Work we have Twilight Camp for Cub Scouts. Camp is held from 6p to 9p M-Th of this week with a family picnic and egg launch on Friday. That schedule translates into meaning that somewhere between the kids and I getting home at 10p every night and Friday before we leave for the daytime activities we need to design and build a container that will hold a raw egg, allow it to be slingshot through the air and not have the egg break when it hits the ground. No problem {she says while rolling her eyes} Oh yeah, and I have to make a dessert for the potluck.
During Twilight Camp (which is an absolute blast and something we highly recommend if you are a Cub Scout) K is off doing things with his den and I have volunteered to help with the TAGs. The TAGs are all the brothers and sisters of the Cub Scout boys. We have crafts and snacks, etc for them everyday and it is so much fun. I will say that chasing after 30 to 40 kids every night in 88 degree weather is…warm. I come home and feel like a grimy, dusty, sweaty salt lick.
To cap our week off we have a Pack event. It is our Cub Scout Space Derby. I will admit that it was poor planning on my part that necessitates that between now and 9:30a on Saturday we finish our rocket. My mind double booked me. Even knowing we had Twilight Camp this week I was still thinking that we could put the finishing touches on it during the week. (I’m such an idiot sometimes). Oh yes, I also need to make a potluck dish for this event.
Once this week is done, next week calms down a bit and it looks like we will get to see most of the boys’ cousins at the end of the month. Very exciting.
So to recap.
The Good
My friend just had a healthy baby girl this week
Twilight Camp is very fun (the wood crafts are spectacular)
Helping with the TAGs is so fun
We’ve had McDonald’s twice this week (that would be on the boys’ good list)
Space Derby is going to be really neat and exciting
The three of us are getting nice tans
The weather is beautiful
My friend just moved into her new house
We went to IKEA last weekend and Mom bought the boys these cute little nightlights that stay on for 6+ hours once fully charged.
The Bad
The long days are starting to show with the boys’ behavior
I need to figure out, and make, two dishes for potlucks (Friday and Saturday)
Where the heck did all these freckles come from! Seriously, my face isn’t ‘tan’ so much as it is just a ton of freckles running into each other from all the sun this week
The TAG leader’s son broke his arm today and may need surgery so she wasn’t there tonight.
Hot Weather + Herding Children = Sweaty and Tired
We’ve had McDonald’s twice this week (on Mom’s list of bad) and we have one more night to figure out something to eat without coming home
Oh yes and it got Ugly
I arrived home Wednesday night to learn that we are actually on the power grid of the houses behind us. Why is this ugly and how did I learn that you ask?
Picture it, I arrive home after 10p with two tired, dirty boys who need a quick bath/hose down and then to go to bed. Ideally in under 20 minutes. I also need to organize and pack the lunches/snacks/water, etc, refreeze the ice packs and get the water chilled for tomorrow and print up some things for the TAGs. Again, ideally this would all be done very quickly so that I could go to bed before the sun starts to come up.
Wait for it…
While at Twilight Camp I had received a call from J saying that the power was out. I called the power company and found out that there was an outage in the area and they were working on it. As I drove home I was ecstatic to see all the lights on our street were on…wait, except for our house. You guessed it. The people behind us and our house still do not have any lights. Oh goodie.
So I am sitting in the dark contemplating how to get stuff done for tomorrow and more importantly how I’m going to wake up without an alarm clock.
PS: Now you also see why the IKEA nightlights are on the Good list. They are great. They aren’t too bright, but they give off a glow that allows each of the boys to see in their rooms without the light on. Grandma Rocks!
PPS: As you might have guessed I wrote this Wednesday night but couldn’t post it because of the whole no electricity/no internet thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment