Okay, in reality I’ve had about all the weather talk I care to endure. Yes, I was part of it yesterday (because really, it was something phenomenal) but I did have other topics of conversation to supplement the “it’s how hot today” discourse.
So, as you may have heard (unless you don’t believe in any form of communication devices) it was hot here yesterday. Not ‘wow, it’s a tad warm out today isn’t it’ but ‘oh my freakin’ goodness did you know it was 104 outside!’. Yes, you read that correctly 104 degrees (although the sign next to my son’s school said 108; of course the one a block away said 100. Silly signs), it was officially the hottest day on record. I’m basing the 104 temperature on my parents thermometer that they have on their deck and on the reading my friend too with her Fluke Thermometer, both of which are good enough for me. It was actually warm enough that I didn’t let the boys go outside yesterday. I decided it was just better to be safe for a day. Both of their schools actually cancelled all outdoor activities in the afternoon for the past three days because of the heat. Really? I truly think Mother Nature got a little confused with her geography and sent the sun to the wrong place. All I’m saying is that when my relatives in California and Texas are experiencing weather that is 20 degrees cooler than here, that’s just wrong. :)
Anyway, there is my obligatory weather talk. :) Yes, it was hot. Yes, all of us are fine. Yes, it was only a cool 98 today. I’ve never seen people so excited for the temperature to be in the mid to high 80s which is the forecast for this weekend.
Speaking of this weekend, the boys are really looking forward to the events coming up. All but two of their cousins are going to be in town (so far there are 14 total for those of you scoring at home) and the boys are planning to play, play, play starting tomorrow night.
It should be a lot of fun. I’ve been trying to show them pictures of the cousins so that they have some idea who is who but the boys don’t seem to worried about it so I’ve given up. The one thing that is really cute is I asked them to try and name all their cousins and, naturally, the only ones they could name were the three they see on a fairly regular basis (they couldn’t even remember the name of the fourth one of that family who was recently born). As they finished naming them I asked if that was all and K suddenly goes “And the 5 year-old. Kai!” You see we had read on the blog about this particular cousin’s 5th birthday and for some reason K was very excited that his cousin was turning 5. So we will have the three regular playmates and the 5 year-old; I guess the rest will just be extra. :)
Last weekend was the Cub Scout Space Derby for K’s pack. It was a fun comedy of errors and as least the kids had a good time and the parents seem to take it in stride. We had planned everything down to a tee. Nothing should have been off, everything should have run smoothly, and that should have been our first warning. People showed up late (not a little late, but laaaate), the rockets weren’t built correctly (hey, ours resembled that remark) and then it started to rain. We’ve figured it out. If there is ever a drought we just need our pack to schedule an outdoor event. It worked in May when we hadn’t had any rain for 19 days or something. We schedule an outdoor event and it pours. Not a little rain that day but “honey, have you seem my blueprints for that ark” poured. The next morning, bright and sunny and no rain for weeks again. Saturday, no rain for weeks, we get everything set-up, start to put the first race on the rack and….rain. Granted, not a lot of rain but when you are dealing with balsa wood rockets racing down monofilament line it doesn’t take a lot of rain to cause problems. Luckily it only rained for about 10 minutes and then everything was back to normal (well, you get the idea).
K’s rocket didn’t do as well as we had hoped. He and I missed a few crucial directions and I’ve decided that if he is going to stay in Scouts (which he says he is) I’m going to have to invest in some tools. Using sand paper and steak knives as the main devices to craft the rocket wasn’t the easiest route. Oh, and I need a small tape measure so that I can gauge 1/16 of an inch because given the fact that all three of his wings fell off I’m going to say he and I were a little off. :) We won’t even go into gluing the nose piece on which meant that the correct number of rubber bands (ie: the engine) couldn’t be loaded resulting in K’s rocket having one less band than everyone else.
As you might have guessed we didn’t win. However, we didn’t lose and there were plenty of other rockets that had issues too. K was a little disappointed, as were some other kids, but once they realized that no one had a ‘super’ rocket and everyone started to laugh at the mishaps, the kids loosened up and just started to have fun.
Coming up – it’s Birthday Party Season for D’s class. There is someone’s birthday every weekend in the month of August so far. I had no idea.
There’s my rambling for today. Hope you are all doing well!
No comments:
Post a Comment