Saturday, November 21, 2009

The evolution of a nickname

Or…My her mind is convoluted.

When K was born he had a nickname within two weeks and this nickname has been the predominate name associated with him since.  In fact, I have a hard time remembering not to call him this name in front of his friends now, as 8 year-old boys DO NOT appreciate it when their Mom uses a “childish” nickname in front of their buddies.  I also have to give him hugs and kisses out in the hall when I drop him off at the Y in the morning too and only get to pat his head and tell him to have a good day in front of his friends. *sigh*  At least I still get the hug and kiss so I won’t complain too much.  Oh, the nickname – Squirm – derived from his inability to be still.

This isn’t to say that K hasn’t had other transient nicknames associated with him throughout the years, but no other has really stuck.

D, on the other hand, has one predominate nickname, Little One, but a number of other names depending upon what is going on.  One day my Mom asked me how he had come about the particular nickname I was using, McMuffin.  No it didn’t have anything to do with McDonalds but I’m pretty sure I saw my Mom roll her eyes when I explained the process.

Being a normal 3 year-old boy (ie: terror with limitless energy) I had affectionately started calling him Monster.  I decided that people might think this sounded mean (it really was said with all affection and no negative connotations in my mind as his love of cookies at 2 led to references of Cookie Monster), so I did a  little alliteration and started called him McMonster.  One day in the car I was joking with K about a nickname I had made up for him a few years ago, SnuggleBunnyFudgeMuffin, (don’t ask, even I don’t remember the exact way that came about, something with word association and trying to make him laugh I believe) and decided that D needed a name similar to that.  I couldn’t come up with anything as fantastical as SnuggleBunnyFudgeMuffin so I settled on Muffin.  That still didn’t sound quite right so I took the Mc of McMonster and it became McMuffin. 

My brains sequence:

Monster  -->  McMonster –> SnuggleBunnyFudgeMuffin –> Muffin –> McMuffin

I don’t see anything strange about that. :)

PS:  I feel like posting today and am way behind on sharing so expect to see a number of posts this weekend.

No comments: