It seems hard to believe but K celebrated his ninth birthday earlier this month. My adorable boy has gone from this
to this
(Like this years’ weird smile? I’m not sure what is with him and his goofy smiles in pictures but he changes the smile every year or so. I guess just to keep it fresh.)
For K’s birthday, D and I met him at school for lunch and took his class cupcakes. D loves that he gets to line up with his brother and get the hot lunch at school. K loves that he gets cupcakes.
We decided that since we weren’t having K’s birthday party until later in the month that he would get to pick where he wanted to go for dinner on his birthday. He started out with Red Robin (I can live with that), then the next morning he wanted to go to Red Lobster (I can do that too), by the time I picked him up from school it was Chuck E. Cheese (why, oh why).
I do have to say that going with only the two boys was a lot easier than trying to keep track of all the kids at a party. The boys had a great time and K really enjoyed his family birthday party. This was as close as I came to a decent shot of both the boys.
I mean seriously kids, just a nice relaxed smile. Am I asking too much? Sheesh.
For K’s birthday party he wanted a slumber party, however that didn’t work out as most of his friends had plans on Sunday and couldn’t stay. I do have to admit that I wasn’t exactly saddened by the fact that I wasn’t going to have 8 boys “slumbering” at my house.
This years party was a LEGO themed party and I think it went very well. We were lucky to have a beautiful day which allowed the boys to play outside and be boys. They also built lots of LEGO items, including a LEGO race car where they got to take home all the pieces as part of their goody bag.
This years’ cake; which was the easiest cake I’ve made in years; didn’t turn out as well as I had hoped, however everyone ate it so I guess that was a success.
I did something sort of fun with the interior of the cake, but I forgot to take a picture of it the day of the party and the leftover piece wasn’t as picturesque as I’d hoped. I colored the cake batter so that the inside of the cake was multicolored. It just added a bit more festiveness to the cake and was a nice surprise when it was cut into. That yellow cake part was actually colored lime green. I was disappointed that it turned so much the color of regular cake batter when it was cooked. I think next time I try this I will find some powdered coloring or a more intense gel so that the colors are brighter.
I also blatantly lifted this idea from the internet.
These are supposed to little minifigure heads. They are marshmallow dipped in yellow candy coating. They were really easy to make and they made a great centerpiece for the table. The kids loved that they got marshmallows and cake. For whatever reason I think they are just so cute!
So, K is nine and in 3rd grade. Sometimes I don’t think there is anyway I've been a mother for 9 years. Although I will admit that raising K can be a challenge at times I am so grateful to have him in my life. He is a wonderful kid and I love him more than I could ever express. Happy Birthday.
2 comments:
Love the lego theme party and the inside of your cake looks great. How'd you do that? I think I'll have to steal your ideas for Kai's next b-day.
Just catching up on your blog and am LOVING the Lego idea for the party! Sounds like there may be a couple of cousins having the same thing for their birthdays this year. ;)
Post a Comment