Friday, April 24, 2009

Around our house

Tonight D and I went to Bingo Night at K’s school.  Originally it was supposed to be K and I; then D, K and I; then D and K started being siblings and I said no one was going to go if they weren’t going to behave, then…never mind, long story.

Anyway, D did really well.  He even had he own card where he got to circle the numbers.  Okay, technically Mom helped point out the numbers over about 22, but still it was his card.  Neither he nor I won anything at Bingo or on the raffle. 

I know that the economy is affecting most people and I even know that there are some parents at K’s school who have lost their job but you’d never know it when looking around.  People were buying $50 or more in raffle tickets and one of the silent auction items went for $700. 

Last year they started this neat thing with the auction where, in addition to the donations, every class makes something for the auction.  Last year I was so excited to go and bid on the item from K’s class (which was a kid-sized picnic table that the kids had decorated if I remember correctly) and I was crushed when I saw that the starting bid was $110.00.  This year I was equally excited about the project, K was really excited, and I really would have liked to have purchased it (it was a nicely bound recipe book with recipes from the kids’ families, then the kids had illustrated it, plus an apron and a dishtowel with all their hand prints on it.  Adorable) but starting bid was $75.00.   The first thing K asked me when I got home was if we had won the recipe book.  I told him we hadn’t won.  I didn’t have the heart to tell him I didn’t even bid 

Conversations

As we were leaving Safeway the other day K was talking about stuff (all sorts of stuff, no specific topics) when he suddenly said “And in The Mask he sticks his tongue out and his eyes bulge out.  That is what he does when he sees a  hot girl.”

This of course prompted me, being me, to ask if he even knew what a ‘hot girl’ was. 

He said no, he wasn’t really sure what a hot girl was which left me trying to tactfully explain the term ‘hot girl’ to my seven year-old son.  Apparently I just don’t learn when it is best to leave something alone. :)

No comments: