Thursday, April 2, 2009

One of these things is EXACTLY like the other

I remember being pregnant with D and reading that siblings who are four or more years apart (which mine are) tend to be more like only children in their personality.  At the time I remember being a little sad thinking about that.  Now…I’d love for them to act more like only children and less like hyper-competitive siblings. 

One of the things they have started is ‘calling’ which cup or bowl they get when I’m fixing a meal or drink.  Inevitably if I get down a red and a black glass, whichever glass color the first one shouts across the room the other one suddenly has to have that color and finds it absolutely intolerable to think of drinking out of a glass of another color.   (We won’t even get into the shouting.  Ugh)

For this reason I now do my best to make sure that their glasses/plates/bowls are the same color.  If I can’t make them the same color I’m quick to say “you get the one I set in front of you”.

Their other new thing is to compete for the “biggest trophy”.  I haven’t seen said mythical trophy and had no idea that they gave out copious amounts of trophies for things like putting on their coat, touching the front door first, getting down the slide first (on a slide that has only one chute), buckling their seat belt first (this one cracks me up since I have to buckle them and tend to do this in a consistent order  so I’m note sure what the ‘contest’ is), etc.  Once I actually get them up and headed towards the door in the morning it is a constant litany of “I’ll beat you to ______”  “Yea!  I won the biggest trophy” for everything from the time we open the front door to the time I drop the first one off.  

Hopefully sibling torment leads to sibling love later in life.  If so at least these two are set. :)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Aaah, the joys of the daily "contests". I'm constantly telling my kids, "It's not a race!" Maybe life's more fun when you think you're winning. :)